November 13
Good morning all,
We are usually at the temple on Tuesday morning,
but the temple, businesses and schools are closed today because of a
cyclone warning. It's not raining right now (7:20 am), but it's a
little windy. I don't think it's as bad as it was yesterday. We'll
have to see how the day plays out. I'm sure we'll be fine. We're up on
a hill and the temple compound has a generator if the power goes out.
I'd be nervous if we lived on one of the little islands. Just another
adventure here in Fiji!
It's been another wonderful week. On
Tuesday, we were invited to a ward member's house for dinner. We
wondered a little about what we would have to eat, but it was
delicious. He had cooked some fish. It was a lot like cod. Here they
boil the fish, but it was very good. He served it with what he called
miti. It was coconut milk with tomatoes, peppers, onions and some
spices. It was surprisingly delicious. You put the fish, some spinach
and then poured the miti over it all. I took just a little to start out
with, but then had more because it was so good. Lynn
liked the fish, but wasn't too crazy about the other things. It was
fun to get to know the family. They had two adorable little kids.
The
temple has been good and a little more busy. They asked me to help a
little in the office when I have free time and that has been fun too. I
had my first new patron this week. She was from Vanuatu and there were
two other sisters with her. All three had sons who were coming to the
temple for the first time because they have received their mission
calls. One of the sisters said that she was baptized in 1996. I told
her that I knew an elder who had served a mission around that time in
Vanuatu. When I told her his name was Jake Weston, she lit right up.
She remembered him. So I emailed Jake and sent a picture of them and he
remembered her and her husband. He sent me a bunch of pictures, which I
shared with them. They were so happy to see them and said it brought
back so many good memories. Jake said they were just a newly married
couple and he was a brand new missionary and they took such good care of
him.
We had stake conference this week. They were good
meetings, but I wish I could understand them a little better. Sometimes
I can't tell if they are speaking Fijian or English!!
It was
Diwali on Monday. It is an Indian holiday and is also called the
Festival of Lights. The downtown area had lights strung up and a lot of
homes were decorated with lights and there were lots of fireworks. We
wonder if they will keep the lights up for Christmas.
In
closing, I was really touched this week as I watched Brother Massing
baptizing Sister Massing for their ancestors who have passed. I tried
to imagine what their lives have been like. I thought of them as that
young couple helping Jake and of the strong bond that they formed with
each other. I know that the strong bond they have is the Church of
Jesus Christ. No matter how long it's been or how far away they are,
that bond continues. We never know what lasting effects our actions
will have. I pray that each of us can make a positive difference in the
lives of those around us and I thank each of you for the difference you
have made in my life for the good. We love you all.
Hope your week is full of happiness and joy. Stay strong.



Comments
Post a Comment