December 10, 2023
Greetings from sunny Fiji,
We have been having beautiful weather.
It's rained a few times during the night, but it's mostly been very
nice. We can't believe the humidity. We go for a walk and come back
soaking wet. But the thing is, that we keep sweating even after we
stop. I've been going around 6 in the morning to avoid the heat. It's
hard to believe it's almost Christmas with this weather. There's not a
lot of decorations either, but we did go into Cost U Less and they were
playing Christmas music. We have decorated our flat a little. The
grandkids all traced their hands and wrote messages on them and we put
it on the wall like a tree. We love it. We also had a member here make
us a nativity. It is beautiful and will be a wonderful keepsake and
reminder of our Fiji Christmas.
They did put up a
nativity on the temple grounds. It is up on the hill, so it really
stands out. The only thing is that there are no lights, so you can't
see it at night. We had our ward Christmas party on Saturday. They
prepared a lovo dinner and they read the account of the birthday of
Christ from the Bible and we sang some songs.
We have had
two couples from Kiribati, the Abwa's and the Morei's, who have been
here for six weeks to train as ordinance workers. They have learned so
quickly and have been such a help to translate for the groups that come
from Kiribati. They are going home this week. We will really miss
them. I have been asked to be the assistant shift coordinator on
Thursdays at the temple. Sister Vavalo, the shift coordinator, was gone
last week and will be gone this week. That means I had to make the
schedule. It took me a while and then when I got there, half the
workers didn't come so I had to redo the whole thing! It will be nice
when she comes back and I can just help her.
We had a good
week at the temple. We had lots of missionaries that were here for zone
conference Friday and Saturday. They bring such a wonderful
spirit. This week will be good because we have a group from Kiribati.
We also have FSY here in Suva this week. Youth are coming from all
over. At first they were planning on around 800 youth, but there are
now 1500 coming. They are flying them in from all over and have had to
open another venue. Emily Belle Freeman arrived today and will be here
all week. Supposedly, baptisms are part of the program. If we have all
1500 come to the temple, we will be BUSY!!! I hope they do. That
would be so great.
Last night we had a ZOOM fireside for all
the senior missionaries. It was a wonderful meeting. Sometimes it is
hard, but we are so thankful that we have been sent here. I know I have
said this before, but we love the people. They have taught us so much
and my testimony has been strengthened so much because of them.
Christmas here is different, but we could all learn from them. They
spend Christmas together as families, eating and enjoying one another.
There has been no mention of Santa or gifts. I don't think we need to
give all of that up, but I like the focus they put on Christ and
family. Hope you all are enjoying the pre-Christmas festivities. I
know it's busy, but so so fun. Enjoy every minute.





Comments
Post a Comment