January 14, 2024

Happy winter to you all! It sounds like it has hit hard all at once. We are actually missing the snow. It has been pretty rainy here this week, but still very warm.  

Our early morning sessions at the temple this week have been very busy. We have had baptisms pretty nonstop for those two hours and in initiatory we have to hand out numbers to keep track of the sisters.  We only have one booth, so they have to wait. But they don't seem to mind. These early morning sessions have actually been a blessing to those who haven't been able to come at the regular times. It makes it worth being there at 5:45 am to be able to serve them. We had a group from Kiribati come this week, so it was busy all week at the temple. On Wednesday we had eight new patrons. They come all at once and they don't speak or understand much English. I have to explain everything to them. Most of them have never used a key or know what a locker even is, so the first obstacle is just getting their clothes changed. We have a couple of sisters who are from Kiribati, but live in Suva. They are my translators. I don't know what I would do without them. By the time they get done with initiatory and head in to speak with the matron, I feel like I have been herding cats!!!! But by the end of the week, they have come such a long way and can do everything with very little help. I become so close to them, that I am sad to see them go at the end of the week.
 
Besides working at the temple, we help with the patron housing. This is where temple patrons can stay while they are here to attend the temple. The Kiribati group was supposed to be picked up this morning at 4:00 am by a bus to take them to the airport. The bus didn't come, so they missed their flight. There isn't another flight until Thursday, so the 25 of them are here until then. The only problem is that we have more scheduled to come in today. We had to do some moving of rooms and put some down in the dorm, but I think they all have a place to stay until they leave. We had to call and get emergency laundry brought in so the beds could be made up.
 
It is so rewarding to see these saints come and perform their ordinances in the temple. As I have said before, they bring such a strong spirit. Some have waited so long for things that I take for granted because the temple has always been so close. Because of them I have an increased love of the temple and the work that is done here. We are so grateful for this opportunity and for the calling that we received to serve here. At times, I still can't believe that we are really here.
 
Hope you all have a wonderful week. Keep warm and be safe.
Love, Lynn and Kay

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

November 19

December 3, 2023

Sunday, June 11, 2023